The coast guard keeps an eye on the sea

Coast guard

FAQ & Links

  • Can I visit the MRCC (Maritime Rescue and Coordination Centre) or the MIK (Maritime Security Centre Belgium)?

    MIK handles classified intelligence, therefore visits cannot be allowed. To minimize the hindrance for the operators, visits to the MRCC are only allowed in exceptional cases. However, the MRCC is open to the public on special occasions such as Flanders Port Day, …
    More information on


    Read more on the coast guard centre.

  • How many ships counts the Belgian fishery fleet?

    According to the numbers of the Sea Fisheries Service there are 79 fishing vesssels in Belgium: Zeebrugge 41, Oostende 23, Nieuwpoort 9 and Blankenberge 4. 2 remaining vessels have a Scheldt port as home port. 

  • I am interested in applying for a job with one of the coast guard partners. Where can I find information on vacancies?

    For vacancies with a regional coast guard partner, surf to the website of SELOR ( or Jobpunt Vlaanderen ( ). For vacancies with a federal coast guard partner, surf to the website of SELOR. If you want to know more about vacancies with the ministry of Defence, call the contact center: 0032 (0)800 333 48.
    (SELOR website only available in Dutch/French; Jobpunt only available in Dutch).

    For specific vacancies: visit the websites of the different coast guard partners.

  • I would like to become a rescue-diver with the army. How do I go about it?

    To hold the position of rescue diver, the first requirement is to be a professional soldier. First you have to successfully complete the general training as petty officer. The maximum age to start with this four-year training is 33 years. After this training, a specific one-year diving training follows. 

    Obviously, you are expected to be in excellent shape. If you have diving experience prior to the start of the training, it is considered an advantage. After successfully completing the necessary training, you can be eligible for the function of rescue-diver with the 40SQN if there is a vacancy.

  • I would like to work as a lifeguard at sea. What do I do?

    From the age of 16, you can take a course at WOBRA (West-Vlaams Opleidingscentrum voor Brandweer-, Reddings-, en Ambulancediensten) in Oostende, Brugge, Kortrijk or Koksijde. The lessons take place from September to March, cost about 175 euros and include 25 hours practice and 18 hours theory (43 hours in total). The exam consists of three parts: theory, swimming practice, reanimation and first aid and finally a sea swimming test. If you pass all three parts, you get the certificate 'lifeguard at sea' which is valid for three years. -

  • Where can I find more information concerning maritime professional trainings and schooling?


    Surf to for all information with regard to maritime educational institutes and a career at sea.
    (website only available in Dutch)